Tuesday 10 November 2015

Weeping Windows, Poppies in Liverpool

On this beautiful sunny warm November day we went into the city centre to see the new art installation outside our magnificent St George's Hall. Over 5000 of the (almost a million) poppies which were displayed at the Tower of London have been retained to create smaller tributes in cities around Great Britain over the next year. 
I did not expect them to make much of an impact, being far smaller number, but when I saw how they were displayed it was quite moving and yet it in was easy to imagine how it was in London.
The sandbags provided a barrier to public access and were perfectly in keeping with the theme of the event and far better than a fence.
 This will be on public display throughout the Winter and I almost hope it snows sometime as it will look amazing in contrast. I'll be there armed with my camera.



Poppies: Wave and Weeping Window

Weeping Window of Poppies
© Richard Lea-Hair and Historic Royal Palaces
By Paul Cummins, artist, and Tom Piper, designer 
Weeping Window is a cascade comprising several thousand handmade ceramic poppies seen pouring from a high window to the ground below; Wave is a sweeping arch of bright red poppy heads suspended on towering stalks. These two sculptures, by artist Paul Cummins and designer Tom Piper, marking the centenary of the outbreak of war, are now brought to audiences at venues across the country as part of the 14-18 NOW programme.
14-18 NOW is presenting the iconic poppy sculptures Wave and Weeping Window at selected locations around the UK until 2018.
The breathtaking sculptures were initially conceived as the key dramatic sculptural elements in the installation Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red at the Tower of London in the autumn of 2014.
This winter the iconic Weeping Window will be on display outside St George’s Hall, Liverpool.






 The poppies can be seen in the background on the steps at the base of the columns and in front is 
the senotaph with all the wreaths from the weekend's memorial service.


8 comments:

Lee said...

Oh,how Stunning,Beautiful and very Moving.xx

Elizabeth said...

I saw this being put together on TV, Jo. It's such a stunning tribute and one that I hope will come to Glasgow eventually - I would love the opportunity to see it for myself. Thanks for sharing your lovely photos. Elizabeth xx

lisa said...

Hi Jo. Gosh it seems an age since I've caught up with you and hope you are all keeping well.
Your poppies look amazing and what a lovely contrast with the blue sky. I'm hoping to go and see them at the Yorkshire Sculpture park, although I don't think it's as big a display as yours.
Hugs Lisa x

Helen said...

The photos of the poppies at St Georges Hall are wonderful - I think it's a superb idea that they're going on tour! However, although they would look fabulous surrounded by snow I fear for them as they are not fully frost hardy. I am still waiting to find somewhere indoors to display the one I purchased last year. Thanks for sharing these lovely photos.

pearshapedcrafting said...

I really am going to have to see these for myself - these photos are fabulous Jo! It was great to meet up - I love that mill! The rain continued over the weekend but we enjoyed ourselves all the same! Hugs, Chrisx

tilly said...

what a wonderful display, I am hoping to come to Liverpool very soon and see it. hope you are both keeping well
Tilly x

Dotty Jo said...

This is beautiful isn't it. Even more poignant when it is in one's home town, Jo x

Neet said...

I just saw this on television and was so moved by it. As you so rightly say the sandbags are the perfect foil for the poppies - how wonderful to see them for real. Can I feel another trip to Liverpool coming on? Maybe just a day trip can be squeezed in.
Hugs, Neet xx