Friday 24 March 2017

Spring is Sprung

It's time for a smile and after popping in on Annie's Friday Smile over at astitchintime I realised that I needed one to cheer myself so I ventured out before my breakfast to wander around our garden on this sunny morning. 
It has been a bit pressured lately with a friend and a family member in hospitals at opposite sides of the city but seeing Annie's post made me think and realise that it shouldn't stop me smiling.
The magnolia above is magnificent. It NEVER ever flowered for 7 years after planting so I gave it a good talking to. A firm ultimatum that it was a waste of space and would be dug out if it didn't flower the next year. Wow! it has amazed me for over 30 years since my threat......
There are two pink camellias heaving with blossom at either side of the garden.
The squirrels are visiting frequently and they seems to be attracted to the centres of the flowers so I think there must be a tasty kernel to be nibbled.
I cannot bare to clear up these wonderful pink treasures and, at the moment, I have no time so that's my excuse!
I bought this amaryllis bulb for a £ in M&S sales and planted it 4th January.
 It was so slow until 2 weeks ago when it blessed us with two heads of flowers. 
Fabulous value for £1.
I had to cut off the first head and put on in a glass of water as it was top heavy
Here's the gift that keeps on giving!!
Thanks again to my DD2 for this beauty which was bought when she was a student over 20 years ago for £1.99 in Woolworth's as a Mother's Day gift. 
To cheer you if you need more smiles pop over to Annie's Blog... it's free and it's always happy.
I'll take these pics in to show my friend in the care home and hope it works Annie's Magic on her too.
So sorry that I haven't called in for a while but, Annie, you have worked your magic for me today!
My friend moved to respite care yesterday so I am off now to see if she is settling in and will pop in to all the other Friday Smiles later.


8 comments:

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi Jo,
So nice to see your post come up on my reading list, and so popped over to enjoy your gorgeous garden shots, indeed spring has sprung at your place well done in indeed, happy Smiles Day😁,
I'm not blogging today bit did on WOYWW !!!
Thanks for sharing your smiles and gla done of your sick ones to visit have improved.!
Shaz in Oz.x

{Calligraphy Cards - Shaz in Oz}

tilly said...

all of these flower trees/bushes are beautiful.... I only have 5 flowers on my camellia, and also a £1 well spent, hope your friend is setting in
Tilly

Annie said...

I'm so sorry to hear you're having a difficult time my friend but am so thrilled that I helped to lift your spirits. Really hope your friend settles in well and life starts to be rather kinder to you. I love the gorgeous flowers in your garden Jo.
Sending you biggest hugs,
Annie x

craftyani said...

Good old Woollies always was good value.

Mystic Quilter said...

Jo, thanks heaps for posting these beautiful photos of your garden - Spring must have arrive in England - my favourite time of the year. We are just into Autumn down here so quite a way to go before my Spring flowers are back! Hope your friends are comfortable - if that's possible in hospital.

mamapez5 said...

It obviously listened to you. I think magnolias are beautiful. (We have at least two plants out here that don't flower until they are forty years old!).
You must have had a relatively mild spring to have all those camellias in flower. My plant had only just got established when we moves away and left it! I love the amaryllis too. have seen them in people's gardens out here but mine die out after one year of flowering. But I keep trying. thanks for sharing all these beautiful flowers. Kate x

Felix the Crafty Cat said...

Sorry I'm a bit late Jo. Yesterday was busy and today I've been to the craft show at Doncaster racecourse but I'm here now. So many gorgeous flowers, such beauties. Have a lovely weekend and happy belated Friday Smiles, Angela xXx

pearshapedcrafting said...

Oh Jo! This had cheered me up!(not that I wasn't cheerful anyway having been able to go out for a few sunny walks lately!) Hope you are both well and that the hospital visiting becomes easier with lighter nights! Hugs, Chrisx